Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Vera is 10 months old

Wow, double-digits. Our little girl has been changing a lot recently. She has about 6 solid words now, a few sign-language words, and is trying hard to repeat what we say. She understands more than we think, and really listens to what Joe and I are saying in our conversations with one another (if we happen to use one of her "key" words, she will chime in and repeat it). She is pretty good at indicating what she wants - for example, if you say "are you ready for night-night?" she will wave bye-bye/night-night(that is, if she's actually ready to take a nap or go to bed). If you ask if she's all done eating, she signs "all done" (waving both hands in front of her), but only if she's actually all done - if she isn't, she'll say "more." She is attempting to pull up on pretty much everything (her favorite seems to be my shirt, particularly when she thinks it's time to nurse), and is also eating just about anything we put in front of her (bread, peas, blueberries, hot dogs, ground beef/turkey, diced peaches, cereal bars, shredded chicken, watermelon, etc). She still only has 2 teeth, but I think she has 3 or 4 in the wings. She loves to play with anything she can throw (especially if it will bounce or make noise), she chases the cats in peals of laughter and squealing (still "commando crawling," but quite fast), and absolutely LOVES books. Here is a video below of her "reading" ... one of her favorite books is this oversized board book of animals. She loves opening it and flipping the pages (sometimes flipping the whole book), and she goes through her repertoire of animals noises.... which is basically "oo-oo-oo" for monkey and "wuh-wuh" for dog. Also, note the total ecstasy she goes into when she finds the picture of the cat.

Vera reading 7-25-2010 from Sophia on Vimeo.



She is also sleeping remarkably well, and that is a huge blessing... bedtime is at 6:30ish, and she sleeps until 5:30am, when she gets a quick nursing, and then back down to bed until 8:30. In general, she is a dream baby. We feel very lucky.

Here are some pics (besides the new ones on the header, which are some of my all-time favorites!)




4 comments:

Rebecca Duke Turvy said...

Happy double digits, Vera! I hope you and Ewan get to meet one day because I think you're a match made in heaven. So many similarities! The video is super cute and the photos in the new header are beautiful! I'm glad you guys are getting some sleep, too. 6:30 to 8:30 with one wake-up is amazing! Is she napping well, too?

Katie said...

oh SWEET BABY! what a great age, and what a blessing to have enough sleep to enjoy it too! love the new blog design.

Sophia said...

@rebecca- I hope our two babes meet, too! I think they'd have a lot to talk about! Yes, Vera has become a great sleeper, and is doing well with naps, too. She generally does about an hour and a half in the morning, and between 40 and 60 minutes in the afternoon. That second nap has been getting shorter, tho, and I think it will prolly disappear all together by her 1st birthday...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE her voice. That giggle puts me over the edge...