Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ladybugs everywhere!



This morning we were invaded by a swarm of friendly ladybugs. I took a look outside and noticed tons of insects flying around, and when I went out, I realized it was (literally) HUNDREDS of ladybugs. They were climbing up and down the siding of our house, and clinging to the screens of the windows. I couldn't believe it! Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Here are some pictures:




Ladybugs are supposed to be good luck, no? Well, apparently we are due for A LOT of good luck - maybe that will help us through some sleepless nights - Vera has entered a fussy stage where she won't sleep from about midnight to 4am... good times.

6 comments:

Monsoon Mama said...

wow! wild. i really hope you guys get more sleep-- sleep deprivation totally sucks. and truthfully, when i read the title of this post, i was hoping to see pics of miss vera decked out in some cute ladybug costume :)

Josh said...

Hi guys-

That would always happen in the dorm I lived in at Rumsey. I am not sure what attracts ladybugs to certain areas, but as soon as the first cold snap let up, the ladybugs would come out in full force!

Josh

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of ladybugs. My sister Kim would freak out... she has this thing against ladybugs! I can relate to the sleepless nights...Avery especially had a difficult time sleeping early on and would be up on and off from about 12-6. I thought I would die! I had that shift and we called it the graveyard shift! No fun... it will get better though!!!

Tara M said...

I'm with MM! I thought I'd see pictures of a nursery decorated in ladybugs or something!

When I was in social work in NJ, there was this one back door that a ton of lady bugs would congregate around. If I went out there, they'd fall in my hair--gross! I know ladybugs are cute, but they are still bugs and I guess I didn't want all that good luck in my hair! But maybe they kept the grey away. Who knows.

Ugh--sleep. Hm. Around 6-8 weeks or so is when they say the night/day thing starts to separate. Hopefully sooner for you! Do you feed her in bed in the dark at night? Once I started doing that around 5 weeks(using only the light of my cell phone), Dylan started falling back asleep a whole lot quicker after nursing at night. Anyway, good luck and I hope your darling ladybug lets you and the ladybugs sleep a bit more at night!

Laura said...

I had a similar ladybug experience in the college dorms at Purchase. Funny....they must like schools. In my friends room there were hundreds and he used a vacuum to "clean them up." My uncle buys them by the millions every year to protect his crop of flowers from damaging bugs like aphids. They come in this "pillow" inside a crate and he made me stick my hand in there once...it was pretty creepy, my whole arm was covered. At least you're gardens will be clean!

Emily Haile said...

wow, the ladybugs are marching in all right. i'm not familiar with that. you should take it as a good omen. why not?