Sunday, September 7, 2008

School for Hobbits

Did I mention that we've moved to the Shire? The School was built in 1927 by an eccentric woman named Theodate Pope Riddle (no, I'm not kidding), and she modeled it after a 16th century English Cotswold Village. Hence, the Shire. Check it out.

Faculty residence connected to a dorm
Part of the Quad (4 main dorms, with faculty houses at each corner)
Faculty residence in the Quad

Detail of windows from the Chapel

Stairway in one of the Quad dorms

Entrance to Joe's Classroom
And, for your amusement, a bas relief of the school's mascot:
That's right... it's the Winged Beaver. Again, no, I'm not kidding.

There are definitely other newer buildings on campus that are not as Shire-y, such as the new science center, campus center, athletic center, etc. Also some of the faculty housing (including ours).

Some of you have been requesting pics of our place - I'll post them soon - The place is great, but decidedly modern, so I didn't want to ruin the aesthetic of this post with modular vinyl-sided town houses.



5 comments:

Kat said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the door to Joe's classroom!! It's like going to Hogwarts every morning!

Emily said...

Theodate? And wow, a winged beaver --that's a first!! It looks absolutely lovely, and yes, very Harry Potter-esque. Let's just hope Joe isn't teaching any "dark arts."

Emily Haile said...

by the way, i LOVE the photo of you and Joe on your header -- always makes me feel very cheerful and wish I were in Mexico!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful campus! I love the old architecture...so academic and inspiring! Hope we can get up there soon to see your new place. Our little hobbit would love to run around in the quad...

Saray said...

That is insane; I want to move in.