Monday, September 14, 2009

Full Term!

We are officially full term (actually, it happened yesterday). I have hit the 37 week mark, which means that this little girl is fully formed, and ready for the big time. It's amazing to imagine that she could be born any time now... not that I think that will actually happen... I think she likes her little home under my ribs, but technically she could be born any time ;-) Really, we have two more weeks, tops, since the doctors are continuing to maintain that because of the polyhydramnios, they want this baby born at 39 weeks (by hook or by crook, I guess you could say - either by induction or by Cesarean - you can decide for yourself which one is the "hook" and which the "crook"). The c-section decision will be made based on her size - she's looking to be a pretty large girl (they think at least 9 lbs), and they're not sure I'll be able to do it. We're getting another measurement done this wednesday, and we'll see where we're at. Of course, we don't want a c-section. But, if the doctors feel that attempting a vaginal birth is too risky, then we'll follow their recommendations - we feel lucky to have a group of doctors whom we trust and respect - I don't think they'd make that recommendation lightly.

I'm actually still feeling decently comfortable. I sleep enough each day (thanks to having quit my job a couple weeks ago), getting in and out of bed/couch is not yet totally unreasonable, I'm not irritable or emotional (I think, unless everyone is just humoring me extremely effectively!) Don't get me wrong, I am somewhat bogged down with the common late-pregnancy complaints - extremely frequent bathroom breaks, swollen hands and feet, mild aches and pains, "the waddle," and the aforementioned baby in my ribs, but other than that, I feel I have been blessed with a tolerable late third trimester. I should also mention that I have a champ of a husband who kindly and patiently allows me to walk at a snail's pace through the grocery store or through campus, who accepts his 25% of mattress space at night without complaint, who fetches me drinks of water, and who brings me the largest piece of brownie he could find when we go to the dining hall for dinner. What a nice man.

The idea of meeting our daughter so soon is pretty mind boggling - the anticipation is killing us. My dad has this great analogy about how when you're on your way home from work, and you have to pee - it doesn't become an emergency until you walk in the front door. Waiting for the baby to come is a lot like that - the closer we get, the harder it is to wait!

5 comments:

Katie said...

so exciting! see you on the other side!

Rebecca Duke Turvy said...

Congrats on reaching this milestone! A little encouragement: When I was pregnant my doctor told me that I had a small pelvis and might have trouble giving birth to a big baby, but I was able to have 9 pound 6 ounce Ewan vaginally. We both had to work hard, but we did it! The most important thing is that you trust your doctors, though. I'm sure you'll do great no matter what, and before you know it you'll have that sweet little girl in your arms! Enjoy this magical time!

Monsoon Mama said...

it takes a truly special husband to scout around for the biggest brownie available, so mad props to joe :) that's great that you're feeling good-- see, all those people who were like, "oh, you'll be miserable" can go screw.

i agree that the most important thing is that you trust your docs and that you feel safe with them and comfortable in their care. no matter what, your healthy and amazing baby girl will be in your arms so soon... how exciting!!

Sophia said...

Thanks for the pep talk Rebecca! Joe and I have definately thought about your experience with Ewan and used it as inspiration!

And yes, MM, those people who kept telling me I would be miserable can clam it, but I guess I also paid my "miserable" dues up front, with the 20 weeks of vomiting and all that... I guess the fertility godesses owed me a little comfort during the 2nd half of the pregnancy!

Tara M said...

I'm so glad also you've hit this mark and feel good! Chocolate doesn't hurt either. And glad you are drinking lots of water--that is so key, I think. Exactly, Div--those people who say you'll hate the last part of the last trimester have no idea if you will hate the last part of your last trimester! I loved being pregnant until the very end and was bummed that I got gyped out of a week. So we're all different.

But that's wonderful your 37 weeks! And as your friend said, you never know about delivery. You can always try vaginal and if it won't work, got to c, but at least you could see if it could be possible by trying. But you guys and your trusted team will make the right decision, and as MM says, once it's over--you have your healthy little baby and that's all that matters, however she came! Hook or crook. hehe. I like that. lots of love to you in these last few weeks pre-life-changing-baby!!