Friday, September 4, 2009

My baby is HOW BIG?!?!!

Hi there. Still 35 and a half weeks (will be 36 on sunday). We just went for our follow-up ultrasound at the hospital so they can check in on how the little girl is doing, in terms of my amniotic fluid, her size and health, etc. Long story short, they're basically signing off that they are no longer concerned with the fluid (it's still about 25.5 cm, a teeny bit high, but stable and not worrisome), and she looks happy and healthy and active (I coulda told them that). They said I won't have to go back for another follow up, and they recommended that we can go down to doing only 1 non-stress test a week, which is great.

Then they measured her size. They're estimating that my not-yet-full-term baby is already 7 lbs, 8 oz. Holy cow. That is a big girl - she was 5 lbs at 32 weeks... so... she's grown 2.5 lbs in 3 weeks? No wonder I'm measuring big. Now, the doc said that there's a significant margin of error with these ultrasounds, and they can be off by up to 1-2 pounds at times. So that means she could be closer to 6lbs, but it also means that she could be closer to 9!! But of course, that's extremely unlikely. She's probably right around 7 lbs. That's my girl! Or Joe's girl, I should say, since he was born weighing 9lbs 14oz.

They also showed us that she's grown a lot more hair. Hmmm... is it wishful thinking to hope that she's grown 2.5 lbs just in hair?

1 comment:

Tara M said...

hehehe--pounds of hair! Who knows! Yeah, they are just estimates. I know they say they can be off by a pound or two, but one of my friends had a baby a few months ago that they estimated at 9 pounds around 39 weeks. So they induced her at 40 weeks (she wanted to be induced too), and her baby was born at 6 pounds. Significantly lower. So who the heck knows. But I guess Joe was a big baby! Well, your body knows what's going on, and as you say, most likely, she'll be just about average.