Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Minor heart-skipping-a-beat moment

OK, so right after I left for work this morning, Joe calls me. "Farmington OBGYN just called and they said they need to speak with you."

"Why?"

"They wouldn't tell me. I asked if there was a message, and they said 'no, just have her call us.' Why do they need to speak with you, do we have test results we're waiting for?"

"Yeah, the downs syndrome and trisomy 13&18 screening. But the radiologist said everything looked fine! Oh crap. OK, so text me their number so I can call them back. They didn't tell you what it was about?"

"No. They said you needed to call them."

So I hang up with Joe and I call Farmington OBGYN immmmmmmmediately, and the receptionist is like, "Oh hi, Yes, Dr. S just wanted me to call you to let you know everything from your ultrasound screening was totally normal."

PHEW. I let her know that from now on, she can tell Joe that kind of information (I thought I already had signed off on that, but I guess not). The thing is, one of the reasons we were recommended to this practice is that they are very family centered, attentive, responsive, and personlized in their approach. The woman who recommended them actually said "they always call with test results, good or bad." But in today's HMO-driven, time-crunched, "no-news-is-good-news" medical environment, it's kinda hard to adapt to this attention to detail and interpersonal approach. I'm thankful that we've found a practice that takes the time to talk to you, but I will definately need to get used to it (how backwards is that!).

Anyway, long story short, more good news for the babe (who is now the size of a lemon, by the way). Also, I am now officially in my second trimester - Woweeezowee!

2 comments:

Monsoon Mama said...

holy shit! i can only imagine how scary that must have been... whenever someone's like, "no, i need to speak to YOU" it usually isn't something you want to hear. but wow, how wonderful that this practice is so personal and attentive and willing to take the time to make direct contact with you. and yes, good for them to know that they can give this info to joe... yeeeeeeesh. glad to know that the bean is doing well... and WOO HOO for the second trimester!

Kat said...

Wow! I would have been worried at first too! I don't think I've ever had anyone call me to tell me everything was fine! Sounds like you are in excellent hands!

And I am so happy that the baby bean is healthy and growing right on track!!