Monday, April 13, 2009

Week 15

I had my 15 week prenatal checkup this morning, and everything seems to be going well! Unfortunately, Joe didn't come to this one - it's hard for him to get time off from work, and since this was basically another "pee-in-a-cup, step-on-a-scale" appointment, without any major landmarks (like an ultrasound or something), we decided he could skip it. I did get to hear the baby's heartbeat, which is always awesome (I would listen to it all day long, if I could!). I asked a few questions, but mostly it was short and sweet. They did send me for more bloodwork (I swear, you're like a pin cushion when you're pregnant), but I think this is a the last one for a while. Our chances for Downs Syndrome and Trisomy 13&18 were so low (less than 1 in 10,000!), the doctor said they won't need to follow up on that too much. I'm still having nausea, which is frustrating, since everyone kept saying "oh, you'll be better by 13-14 weeks," and here we are at week 15, and I'm still having bad days about 2-3 times a week. But, I suppose that is better than bad days 7 days a week, which is pretty much what weeks 10-12 were like. I would prefer, however, to be done with nausea all together. Who's kidding. Vomiting is not fun. At all.

Enough with the negative stuff. Positives! Number one - my energy is returning. I am no longer taking 2-3 naps per day. I feel so much better on that front. Number two - I may or may not have felt the baby flutter the other day. The doctor said it's unlikely at this early stage, but possible (most women start feeling it at 16-22 weeks). I think it happened! I'm sticking to that belief! I know it may be a long time before I feel it again, but it was pretty cool (tho totally tiny and subtle). Number three - 4 more weeks until our next appointment and ultrasound, when hopefully we'll be able to see if we're having a boy or a girl! That is such an exciting idea. We don't have a preference either way, but we CAN'T WAIT to find out!

1 comment:

Monsoon Mama said...

oh, crap! i still have those sour candy drops for you... i am SO sorry that i haven't mailed them to you, especially since you are still feeling nauseous! that sucks. i'll make sure to do it today. and yeah, everyone told me that i'd feel better by 12-13 weeks, and i turned the corner around 15, so hopefully, less pukey days are in your very near future!

but that's GREAT that you felt the baby move!!! i think we know our bodies best, and if you think you felt him/her move, then i agree-- go with that. those feelings will get stronger with time... it's such a cool feeling. glad to know that you have a healthy, happy bean! xxoo